The economy of the Jagatsinghpur district is dependent on agriculture. Agriculture is the main occupation of bulk of the population. The key crops of the district are paddy, sugarcane, turmeric, cotton and jute. Processing, manufacturing, reparing and fisheries industries also contribute towards the economic development. Jagatsinghpur is a leading district of the state in terms of industrialization. Paradip, a modern deep water port, was built here in the 1960s and has now become a hot business destination due to the large foreign direct investment. The port town of the district has already emerged as the one of the country’s major investment hot spot by attracting investment in excess of the tune of 3.5 lakh crores (US $68.84 billion) including the Rs 2, 74,134 crore Petroleum Chemicals and Petrochemical Investment Region (PCPIR) which has spread over 284 square kilometres (110 sq mi) in the area. IOC has already installed a 15 MMTPA refinery cum petrochemical complex at Paradip. Indian Railways has also taken up the Paradeep-Haridaspur 82 km broad gauge line to boost the infrastructure in the region. Up-gradation of NH-5(A) is also going on in a very fast rate. A new all green field road will also be built from Bhubaneswar to Paradip.
The following Large and Medium sector industries exist in the district.
- Paradeep Phosphates Limited, a fertilizer company
- Paradeep Plastic Park Limited
- IFFCO- Fertilizer Plant
- Essar Steel’s Pellet plant
- Indian Oil marketing terminal
- Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL) Refinery
- Bharat Petroleum Corp. Ltd. marketing terminal
- Hindustan Petroleum Corp. Ltd. marketing terminal
- Cargill’s edible oil plant
- Skol Breweries Ltd. ( Unit-East Coast Brewery)