Agriculture of Jagatsinghpur District
Jagatsinghpur District is located in the East Coast of Odisha, surrounded by Kendrapada District in North-East, Puri District and Bay of Bangal in South, Cuttack District in West and Bay of Bengal in East. This District is situated in between latitude of 20 degree to 21 degree North and longitude of 84 degree to 87 degree 3’ East. The District is also surrounded by River system the Mahanadi and Paika in North and Devi in the South West. Due to its geographical situation, the District is congenial and prone to occurrence of various natural calamities like Flood, Cyclone or both and even Drought. The incidence of drought situation is also experienced in occasional year due to erratic behavior of Rainfall.
It is one of the thickly populated costal Districts of Orissa and main stream of economy of the District comes from Agriculture. The District is also having some problems in relation to Agriculture such as Saline Soils, water logging areas which have some adverse impact on production and productivity.
As per Agro climatic Condition, the entire Jagatsinghpur District comes under, East and South Eastern Coastal plain with hot and humid climates having average normal Rainfall 1521.16 mm. More than 75% of the precipitation is concentrated over five months i.e. from June to October. The Soil of the District is mostly loam, sandy and clay loam.
Basic information of Jagatsinghpur District
Agro climatic Zone – East and South Eastern Coastal plain
- Intensive cropping programmes basing on land type, weather condition & Irrigation potential available
- Adoption of new technology like IPM / INM / line sowing / transplanting and Green Manuring in all G.Ps of the district to increase productivity under BGREI, RKVY and State Plan Scheme.
- Ensuring timely pre-positioning and distribution of Agriculture inputs like seed, fertilizer, pesticides and crop loan through the private dealers, PACS, OAIC Ltd and Fertilizer through Wholesaler, Retailer and credit facility through Banks.
- Emphasis on GPRS based soil test for both Major and Micronutrients and issue of soil health card to the farmers and preparation of soil map of the district
- Emphasis on implementation of D.B.T (Direct Benefit Transfer) to the farmers on Seed, Fertilizer, Farm mechanization and Jalanidhi.
- Popularization of new Hyv. Paddy released within 10 years like Varsadhan, Mrunalini, Swarna Sub-1, Lunishree, Pratikhya, Rani dhan etc. to increase the production of rice in the District.
- Extension of area under scented Rice through Extension Reforms System creating awareness on easy marketing and higher profit to prevent distress sale of paddy among the farmers
- Emphasis on registration of more number of farmers for issue of Farmers’ ID.
- Creating awareness on Integrated Nutrient Management among the farmers by ensuring soil health status through soil test.
- Extension of area under seed village programme for production of more seeds in the district to increase SRR and to prevent distress sale.
- Increasing use of micronutrient, weedcide and need based pesticides under BGREI.
- Emphasis on farm mechanization providing subsidy on Tractor, Power Tiller, Transplanter, Reaper, Self Propelled Implements, Axial Flow Thresher, Combined Harvester and diesel pump sets etc.
- Emphasis on increase of irrigation potential by creating Private Lift Irrigation Project (PLIP) STW under Jalanidhi and cluster STW under Jalanidhi I.
- Popularizing of Rotavator / Disc Plough for deep plough for better soil pulverization.
- Emphasis on e-pest surveillance for immediate control of pest & disease.
- Emphasis on creation of awareness and transfer of technology by efficient mobilization of field functionaries by using of mobile App.
- Thrust on Organic farming by use of PSB, Vermi Compost, Biofertiliser etc and establishment of vermi Hatchery and Vermi Compost unit at Govt. subsidized rate.
- Emphasis on Pani Panchayat / Farmers’ club / NGO’s to promote line sowing / line transplanting for higher productivity.
- Emphasis on covering more number of non-loanee farmers under Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana
- Extension of adequate farm Credit at soft rates to farmer. It has been programmed to provide crop loan to the tune of Rs.44,762 lakh
- Organization of seed treatment Campaign, Exposure visit programme, FFS, Farmers’ training at village level for creating awareness among the farmers.
- Strengthening of e-marketing system by involving e-NAAM / NAFEED / MARKFED / Farmers Organization / Mandis for marketing of paddy, pulses and oilseeds.
- To bring reforms in Agriculture Extension through Agricultural Technology Management Agency (ATMA) which provides a single platform for Agriculture and allied sector to address the farmers’ empower properly.
Activities : Following activities are being executed in the District. Work Plan Scheme
- Rice Development, F.F.S. in Production Technology in Rice including demonstration in SRI method of cultivation, exposure visit inside and outside the State, conducting Krushak Divas, District Mohastava.
- Sugarcane Development Schemes, F.F.S. incentives to Sugarcane Growers in term of inputs.
- Jute Technology Minimission-II- Demonstration, Minikits, seed production programme, F.F.S. ,Exposure visit outside the State and rating for quality fibre production.
- ISOPOM (pulse/ oilseed) subsidized Inputs supply, Minikit distribution, Sprinkler Irrigation, Sprayer, Gypsum, installation of vermin compost unit at subsidized rate.
- Farm mechanization: supply of Tractor, Power tiller, diesel/ Electric pump, Axial flow, Thresher – cum winner, reaper, transplantor, Rotavator, Combined harvestor, Bullock drawn implements at subsidized rate both under work plan & RKVY Scheme.
- Management of Acid Soil by supply of paper mill sludge and Gypsum at nominal cost with subsidy on transportation and material cost.
- Private Lift point (Jalanidhi) R.I.D.F.-XIV assistance by NABARD for lift irrigation point, Installation of shallow tube well, Bore well , Dug-well and River lift point at 50% subsidy .Under Biju Gramya Jyoti Yojana (BGJY) farmers (SF/MF) are availing subsidy of 70% towards drawl of Electric line up to the Lift point within 1K.M..
- Apart from the above activities, two flag ship programmes of the State are in operation in this district i.e. National Food Security Mission (NFSM) on Pulse and Rastriya Krishi Vikas Yojana(RKVY) . Under these above Scheme Input required for Pulse Production programme are being supplied at 50% subsidised rate to boost up production & productivity & creation of Infrastructure.
- Extension reforms (Centrally Sponsored Scheme) to lower the disparity between production potential and production in actual in livelihood by bringing stake holders (Agriculture, Horticulture, Fishery, Animal Husbandry and Soil Conservation)to a common platform for bottom up planning & execution in Agriculture & allied sector. Different extension activities are being implemented in this district under this Project.
- In order to obtain maximum return by a farmer from Agriculture, the Department of Agriculture in the district has been always in search of new innovations such as use of new H.Y.V./Hybrid varieties of seeds released by C.R.R .I, Cuttack and O.U.A.T. Bhubaneswar and reputed Multinational companies, increase in seed replacement ration, fertilizer consumption.
- Ensure availability of seeds, fertilizer, pesticides through monitoring by quality control enforcement.
- Co-ordination with different department for irrigation scheduling, credit facilities.
- Soil testing of farmers for fertilizer recommendation.
- Self employment to unemployed youth through establishment of Agro Service Centre and Commercial Agriculture Enterprises with subsidy linkage.
- Empowerment of Farm Women through training on preservation, canning, mushroom production to farm women and S.H.G
TENTATIVE BENEFICIARY LIST OF KALIA YOJANA (PHAGE-1)